Family Law for Athletes
Jason Setchen started his career in Family law. Jason’s first job as an attorney was serving as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office assigned to the Child Support Enforcement Division. Family law has played a prominent role in Jason’s legal practice since leaving the State Attorney’s Office and forming his own law firm in 2000. For over 20 years Jason has handled an array of complex and unique Family law matters, many of which have involved professional entertainers and athletes such as:
- Paternity (Establishment and Disestablishment)
- Child Support (Establishment, Defense, and Modification)
- Child Custody
- Child Visitation and Timesharing
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Domestic Violence and Domestic Injunctions
- Parental Relocation
- Alimony Modification
- Contempt of Court (Prosecution and Defense)
Jason is proud to have worked in the past as a Partner with the National Retired Basketball Players Association (NBRPA) assisting retired and transitional players with their family law related legal needs. Jason has been formally recognized by both the South Florida Legal Guide and Super Lawyers as a Top Family Lawyer in South Florida.
Some of Jason’s more visible Family law cases have involved high profile individuals such as Scott Storch, Pitbull, Landon Collins, Xavien Howard, Eddie Lacy, and other high profile professional athletes from the NBA and NFL.
To learn more about the firm’s family law experience and how the firm may assist you, please click here.
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law
- B.A. (Criminal Justice), University of Miami
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Honors and Awards:
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator
- Florida Bar, Grievance Committee, Former Chairman (11N)
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- Super Lawyers, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- UM Entertainment & Sports Law Symposium, Miami, Florida, Panelist
- NBRPA Legends in Sports Symposium, Cancun Mexico, Panelist