Family Law for Athletes
Mr. Setchen started his career in 1997 at the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office as an Assistant State Attorney assigned to the Child Support Enforcement Division. While serving as an Assistant State Attorney, Mr. Setchen handled a large caseload and was tasked with the establishment of paternity and child support awards for out of wedlock mothers as well as prosecuting delinquent child support cases. The Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office is one of the largest child support enforcement offices in the United States processing more than 65,000 cases annually.
For over 20 years Jason has handled an array of complex and unique Family law matters, many of which have involved professional entertainers and athletes such as:
- Paternity (Establishment and Disestablishment)
- Child Support (Establishment, Defense, and Modification)
- Child Custody
- Child Visitation and Timesharing
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Domestic Violence and Domestic Injunctions
- Parental Relocation
- Alimony Modification
- Contempt of Court (Prosecution and Defense)
In 2000, Mr. Setchen departed from his appointment with State Attorney’s Office to start his own boutique law firm. In his 20 years of practicing law, Mr. Setchen has dedicated a significant percentage of his practice to handling complex sports and family law issues for an array of individuals.
Mr. Setchen’s work with athletes outside of the family law context has afforded him a unique understanding of the challenges faced by athletes, especially when disputes arise concerning family law issues such as child support, child custody and visitation. Moreover, Mr. Setchen’s time as a prosecutor in one of the country’s largest child support offices shaped how he approaches cases for the benefit of his clients through effective settlements and by way of trial.
Mr. Setchen has shared his knowledge as a guest lecturer on sports and/or family law matters at various institutions, such as Wake Forrest University, the University of Miami, Nova Southeastern University, and Chapman University in Orange County, California. Furthermore, Mr. Setchen served as a guest speaker for the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA) at their annual Legends in Sports event in Cancun, Mexico on the topic of Family Law and the Transition from Professional Athletics.
Mr. Setchen has also represented many high-profile current and former professional athletes, most notably in the NBA and NFL. Mr. Setchen’s former and current clients include Jalen Ramsey, Marquise Brown, David Njoku, Landon Collins, Breeland Speaks, Jermaine Grace, Xavien Howard, and many others.
Also, Mr. Setchen is recognized as a Top Family Law Attorney by prestigious magazines, such as the South Florida Legal Guide and Super Lawyers.
To learn more about the firm’s family law experience and how the firm may assist you, please click here, or call Athlete Defender at (305) 856-4044.
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law
- B.A. (Criminal Justice), University of Miami
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Honors and Awards:
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator
- Florida Bar, Grievance Committee, Former Chairman (11N)
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- Super Lawyers, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- UM Entertainment & Sports Law Symposium, Miami, Florida, Panelist
- NBRPA Legends in Sports Symposium, Cancun Mexico, Panelist