- Florida, 1998
- Washington, D.C., 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2012
Honors and Awards:
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator
- Florida Bar, Grievance Committee, Former Chairman (11N)
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- Super Lawyers, Top Lawyers Selection (Family Law)
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law
- B.A. (Criminal Justice), University of Miami
Jason Setchen: Athlete Attorney with vast experience representing professional, collegiate, and high school athletes.
Jason Setchen is an experienced attorney who has counseled and represented athletes at all levels. Mr. Setchen is not a sports agent but provides extensive legal representation and meets his clients’ needs wherever they may be.
Mr. Setchen dedicates a portion of his practice to advocating for amateur athletes, including student-athletes in high school and college, and providing representation in administrative and legal proceedings. Mr. Setchen has handled many high-profile cases on behalf of amateur athletes concerning issues with colleges, universities, the NCAA, and the FHSAA.
Mr. Setchen has also advised and counseled student-athletes in an array of matters including team suspension and dismissal, administrative appeals, drug testing appeals, transfer disputes, scholarship reduction, NIL activities, and a compendium of other issues impacting amateur athletes. Mr. Setchen is also experienced and well versed in NCAA legislative waiver cases involving student-athlete eligibility. To learn more about Jason’s work with student-athletes and the NCAA, click here.
As a practicing attorney with over 25 years of experience in litigation, Mr. Setchen has served his clients on countless matters involving high profile professional athletes and entertainers. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Setchen worked in the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Miami Dade County State Attorney’s Office. His work in counseling professional athletes in the family law context has resulted in him being recognized by Super Lawyers and the South Florida Legal Guide as a top family attorney. Over the years, Mr. Setchen has been counsel on several highly publicized family law cases involving well-known celebrities and professional athletes.
Mr. Setchen often serves as a guest lecturer for colleges, universities, graduate schools, and law schools. He routinely lectures at the University of Miami’s undergraduate and graduate Sports Administration program and other institutions in the field of Sports Law.
• 2023, 2019, NCAA, Invited Participant, NCAA Infractions Program Practitioners’ Summit, Indianapolis, Indiana
• 2023, Ohio Northern University, Guest Lecturer, Sports Law Program
• 2022, University of Florida Levin College of Law, Panelist, Annual Spring Symposium, Power of Attorney: Athlete Advocacy and Brand Building, Gainesville, Florida
• 2020, Wake Forest University, Panelist, Intellectual Property and Business Review, NCAA Athletes as Employees, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
• 2019, Nova School of Law, Moderator, Sports Law Conference, Entertainment and Sports Law Society, Current Topics in Amateur Sports, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
• 2018, Chapman College of Law, Panelist, Sports Law Symposium, NCAA Amateurism Model and Pay for Play, Orange County, California
• 2016, University of Miami School of Law, Panelist, Entertainment and Sports Law Society Symposium, Special Topics in NCAA Environment, Coral Gables, Florida
• 2014, National Basketball Retired Players Association, Panelist, Legends of Sports Conference, Paternity and Child Support Issues facing Transitioning and Retired Players, Cancun, Mexico